I have been on a quest for some time now attempting to figure out how best to mimic the look of photographs that were taken with film, and printed in a darkroom; namely the black edges that usually show up. I have read a few tutorials online to create a similar effect, but always seem to produce the same border on every photo... whereas I'd like to be able to take a series of steps which will produce a different border each time.
Personally, I like your solution.
- Scan a wide range of prints with interesting edges.
- Using any selection tools select individual eges (top, bottom, left, right)
- Re-create new framesets by mixing and matching.
- Choose Edit > Transform > Flip Horizonatal/Vertical
- Save the selection as an Alpha Channel Select > Load Selection
Now you can re-create a high-quality visually-realistic photo edges
and create brushes from the scans
I guess if this is what has to happen, I'll do it... but I'd like to see if there isn't another way. Can you help?