What's the difference between the PSD format and the PSB format?
Good question. When creating large documents in Photoshop and you want to maintain PS-native features the .psb file format is the way to go. Before you do, keep these things in mind.
- Documents saved in the Photoshop (.psd) or TIFF (.tif) format cannot exceed 4 GB.
- Documents saved in Photoshop's new Large Document (.psb) format can exceed 4 GB.
- The maximum image size for the .psb format is 300,000 pixels square (horiz. and vert.)
- The .psb format supports Photoshop-specific features such as Adjustment Layers, vector shapes, channels, etc.
- You will only be able to open a .psb file in either Photoshop CS or CS2.