I am new to Photoshop and have a problem:-each time I key in anything to work on I get a warning (no pixels are more than 50% selected the selection edges will not be visible) can you help?
This error message appears when you are selecting very small areas with a selection tool that has a high Feather value setting. You can try reducing the feather value and re-selecting but you might run into the same problem. Here's a better way to soften the edges of a marquee or lasso selection.
- Select the Rectangular Marquee tool.
- Reduce the Feather value to 0.
- Click and drag to select a small area.
- Press the Q key to enter QuickMask mode.
- Choose Filter > Blur > Guassian Blur. The Guassian Blur dialog box appears.
- Click and drag the Amount slider until the QuickMask edge is softened.
- When you are satisfied, click OK.
- Press the Q key a second time to return to Standard Editing mode.
- A small, soft-edged selection is created.
Using this method you'll never encounter the 50% error message again.
The Amount value chosen, in the Guassian Blur dialog box, will depend on the resolution of the image. The higher the resolution, the higher the Amount value of blur that can be applied. I find for most mid-sized work (8 x 10 @ 300ppi) I use somewhere between .5 an 1.0. The best thing about this method is that you can visualize the edge as you soften it. Each image will have it's own specific needs.